Contact Now
Posted by The Keppel Club
Contact No. 63755567
14-06-13 547 times Report spam
Details  Comments 

The Keppel Club

About Us

A mere 10 minutes drive from the heart of town, lies a golfer’s sanctuary. Bordered by Singapore’s southern shoreline, the Keppel Club we know today enjoys 44 hectares of lush undulating terrain, but it was not always like this.

In the 1830s, the Straits Settlements (Singapore, Malacca and Penang) was a pirates’ haven. By 1832, Singapore had become the busy centre of government for the three areas. It was also at this time that Admiral Keppel came to Singapore. This famed British sailor helped to clear the Straits of pirates. The harbour was thus named after him.

Keppel Golf Club, as it was originally known, was founded on 15 November 1904. The Club sat on a piece of land first owned by the New Dock Co. Ltd. When the land was transferred to the Tanjong Pagar Dock Board, so was the Club. The Singapore Harbour Board subsequently took over that piece of land.

When the Club was founded, it had a 3-hole golf course in the midst of a nutmeg plantation. Over the next five years, it grew to a 5-hole and subsequently, a 7-hole course. By 1908, it became a 9-hole course.

In 1973, the Port of Singapore Authority (PSA) took over the running of Keppel Club. By then, the Club occupied approximately 43 acres of PSA-owned land. Four years later, in 1977, PSA leased more land to Keppel Club for the extension of the golf course.

Other structures had to make way for the expansion. The original Clubhouse, an attap hut along the second fairway, had provided for the Club members until after the British takeover. This humble abode made way for a more solid building in 1979, and the remnants were removed for the upgrading works. 

By 1980, ambitious plans were fast underway to remodel and upgrade the 18-hole golf course to a new 6,000m competition course of international standards.
As the Club moved closer to its Centenary, a number of redevelopment projects were carried out. The bowling centre and golf course were upgraded.

The upgrading of the course took into consideration the preservation of the traditional character of the course while improving play interest, turf grass presentation and aesthetic appeal. Golfers no longer have to worry about a soggy and water-logged course after a heavy down pour as the drainage system was upgraded on top of a change in grass type to something more suitable for local conditions. All existing man-made sharp, motorway-type cuts were reshaped into gentle flowing grounds to eliminate the numerous steep-hillside fairway situations. However, in order not to reduce golfing challenge, we have compensated it with strong bunkering, putting green interest and water features. Tee 11 was lowered to blend with the new greens 10 and 13. Tee 12 was reconstructed and tee 14 was shortened.

In 2005, a Master Plan was presented to the members to further expand the facilities that will bring the Club through the next decade and more. Taking advantage of the sea view, the Master Plan include a new building facing the sea front which houses the new gymnasium and dancing/aerobic studio, a spacious boardwalk offering alfresco dining, children's play area, video games arcade and roof top dining area. Included in the Master Plan is a multi-storey carpark providing ample lots. The Club President, Dr Tony Tng presided in the groundbreaking ceremony on 21 August 2005 and the project is targeted to complete in May/June 2006.

( For more informations please contact us at 63755567 or you can also visit our website at )

-- Please contact us at 63755567 and mention that you saw the ad on Thanks! --

Contact Information
Not Available